Where can I recycle?
Books can’t usually be recycled along with other paper recycling because of the glue that’s used to bind them.
Instead, there are many possibilities for re-using, donating or reselling books.
If you have books to dispose of, consider the following options:
Sell or exchange them
- Try local second hand book dealers, jumble sales or car boot sales;
- Sell or swap your books online – there are lots of sites where you can do this including Amazon and Book Crossing.
Pass them on…
- Ask family, friends, work colleagues or neighbours if they want them;
- Go online to sites such as Freecycle and Freegle to give them away;
- Most charity shops will accept second hand books if they are in good condition, as will some libraries.
Other options include schools, doctors’ or dentists’ surgeries, and hospitals.